Student Activities during Air Quality Alerts
Due to wildfire smoke and poor air quality, the District has outlined guidelines for outdoor activities involving students and staff.
Please note that these guidelines involve air quality stages and alerts. To find out the current air quality status, visit the Missoula County Health Department’s Air Quality webpage at www.co.missoula.mt.us/EnvHealth/AirQ/Current%20Air%20Quality/CurrentStatusReport.html,
or call 258-3600. Updates may be posted throughout the day if the air quality gets better or worse.
Here are the District’s current guidelines:
If a Stage I Air Quality Alert is in Progress:
- All students can be outside for a brief recess or lunch (unless parent has requested in writing that their child remain indoors due to medical reasons).
- Physical education classes can be held outdoors, but principal has the right to move classes indoors, especially if students are doing strenuous physical activity. Again, parents have the right to request in writing that their child remain indoors due to medical reasons.
- Sports practice can be held outdoors; coaches may opt to do strenuous physical activities indoors. Coaches should work with parents to monitor students who have respiratory problems.
- Sports events: OUTDOOR SPORTS EVENTS, SUCH AS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL GAMES, SOCCER MATCHES, CROSS COUNTRY AND GOLF MEETS, MAY BE CANCELLED and/or RESCHEDULED if a Stage I Air Quality Alert is in place. The High School Activities Director, in consultation with the principal and/or the Superintendent, will determine if the activity should be cancelled and/or rescheduled.
If a Stage 2 Air Quality Warning is in Progress:
- All PreK-Grade 8 students are to remain indoors during lunch and recess.
- Physical education classes must be held indoors.
- Sports practices must be held indoors.
- Sports events: OUTDOOR SPORTS EVENTS, SUCH AS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL GAMES, SOCCER MATCHES, CROSS COUNTRY AND GOLF MEETS, WILL BE CANCELLED and/or RESCHEDULED if a Stage II Air Alert is in place. Again, the High School AD, in consultation with the principal and/or superintendent, will cancel and/or reschedule the activity.
For additional information, call 728-2400, ext. 1024.